Tags

, , , , , ,

Several months ago I picked up a couple of Stanley No 10 Carriage Makers Rabbet Planes at a local auction. While one of them was in perfect untouched condition, the other one (in the back) was welded and painted black.

 photo blog 008_2.jpg

I wanted to restore the plane and make it usable again so I took it all apart and soaked everything in a citric acid solution for a few hours. If you look closely, you can see the weld at the cheek.

 photo ebay 001_1.jpg

Even thought the weld was done fairly well, the planes sides were no longer straight. You can see the gap at the front of the bed between the ruler. Not the best situation for a plane that needs straight sides in order to cut a clean rabbet.

 photo ebay 002_1.jpg

Fortunately, because the plane cracked only on one side, the bed was still relatively flat when it was welded back. If the bed would have been out of whack, I may have resorted to the garbage can as it would have been too much work to fettle flat.

 photo ebay 003_1.jpg

I wanted the black removed from the sides as the previous owner painted the sides to cover up the weld. I spread some paint remover on it and let it sit for a few minutes before removing it with a putty knife.

 photo ebay 005_1.jpg

Here’s the close up of the weld. For the most part, it was done well.

 photo ebay 006.jpg

I needed the sides to be straight so I started to fettle them with sandpaper on a marble base. Rubbing the bed back in forth, I could see the high and low spots on each side.

 photo ebay 009.jpg

There was a lot of metal to remove, so I decided to take the bed to my stationary disc sander and carefully grind the bed using 80 grit sand paper.

 photo ebay 008.jpg

Using the disc sander saved a lot of time, but it scratched the hell out of the surface. I made sure I moved the bed back and forth so that I wouldn’t do more damage than good.

 photo ebay 064.jpg

After a few minutes of sanding, both sides were flat enough for my liking.

 photo ebay 066.jpg

Because the disc sander made a lot of scratches on the sides, I took the bed back to my marble base and used a variety of sand paper grits to remove as many scratches as I could.

 photo ebay 067.jpg

I then focused on the bed, fettling it flat. I used a variety of sand paper from 150-400 grit. I worked on it for a few minutes until I was satisfied with the results.

 photo ebay 068.jpg

Once the bed was done, I sharpened the blade using my Tormek sharpening wheel and water stones.

 photo ebay 074.jpg

Since I ground some of the thickness of the sides away, you can see where the blade protrudes farther out of the side than normal. I could grind away the sides of the blade, but I wanted to wait and see how it performs first. If I was able to cut a clean rabbet with the way it was, I would just leave it alone.

 photo ebay 073.jpg

Here she is after all the work has been done. It looks a lot better than the way I bought her, but I still needed to see if she works.

 photo ebay 069.jpg

After setting the blade to the right depth, I tried it out on a scrap piece of wood. It cut nice little shavings with ease and can now be put in my arsenal of planes for use. Even though I spent a good day tuning this plane up, it gives me great satisfaction resurrecting an old tool back to life. Plus it saved me a ton of money versus buying a new rabbet plane.

 photo ebay 071.jpg

Advertisements