My wife and I bought two old ten pane French windows a couple of years ago at a flea market. We knew as soon as we saw them that they would be perfect for the front of the shed. Even though they were in good shape, I had to trim off the edges a little bit so I could work with them.
After I took all the hardware off, I covered all the screw holes and areas with damage with two-part wood putty. The stuff did the trick as it was hard as a rock the next day.
These windows were very well made with through tenons. They appeared to be made from old growth white pine.
Because we wanted the windows to actually function, I had to build a window frame for each window. I took a 2 x 8, sliced it on my band saw, and milled the lumber down to 3/8″ thick on my planer. I then started to make the bottom sill with a slight chamfer to allow rain water to run off.
I built a frame to fit inside the window opening and sized the window to work inside the frame. I did a whole bunch of test fitting taking it back and forth from the shed. It took all day to make just one of the frames.
Once the window fit, I attached boards inside the frame so that the window would have a nice place to sit when closed.
I bought 2 1/2″ wide hinges with removable pins and laid out the mortises. I cut the mortises with a chisel and a router plane to make the depth of the mortise the same throughout its length.
I then test fitted the window in the frame before I went out to the shed to attach it.
Being very patient, I fitted the window frame to the opening with wood shims and tested the window. It took nearly two hours to fit this window so that it would operate to my liking.
Once the window fit well on the outside, I attached the frame to the opening with 15 gauge galvanized finish nails.
The next day, I built and installed the other window. They both came out really well and open and close with ease.
A simple scrap of cedar with a screw in the center acts as a latch for each window.