Tags

, , , , ,

Moving forward with the shed, I installed the large fifteen pane window on the right side of the shed. Being so big and heavy, I screwed some scrap siding boards to the corners so I could lay the window in the frame and shim around the window until it was plum and square.

 photo 20160709_113900.jpg

With the window secure, I used scrap siding for the inside of the window frame and nailed it to the 2 x 4 framing.

 photo 20160709_122307.jpg

I then started to build the window trim by taking away one piece of the scrap wood and replacing it with 4″ wide cedar. I nailed it to the siding with 15 gauge galvanized finish nails. The bottom and top of the trim over hang the sides by 1″ on each side, with the top angled at 10 degrees. I then nailed a piece of cedar to the top for a little added detail.

 photo 20160709_163946.jpg

Putting up the trim was one of the easiest parts of building the shed so far. The cuts were simple and straight forward. Home Depot even had 3 1/4″ wide cedar boards so that I didn’t have to rip  4″ boards down to wrap the corners properly.

 photo 20160709_192205.jpg

I nailed the trim around the two front windows very much the same way as the side window.

 photo 20160709_180351.jpg

The only difference is that I had to cut a notch on the side trim boards to fit around the window sill. I had a follower tell me on my last post that I need to add a drip edge to the bottom of the sill to prevent water from going inside the shed wall. I’ll do that soon by either cutting a shallow groove or a gluing bead of wood underneath the bottom.

 photo 20160709_180345.jpg

Here’s a quick shot of the side finished with the trim. It’s starting to really look like a shed now. I just have to install three  corbels around the roof line and a cedar trellis above the window. Stay tuned.

 photo 20160710_131615.jpg

I wanted to work on the door frame, so I took two of the 2 x 6’s that I used to make the scaffolding and ripped them on the table saw.

 photo 20160710_132138.jpg

I cut almost half way through the wood on the table saw and then finished up the cut on the band saw.

 photo 20160710_133540.jpg

After they were ripped, I planed them down to 3/8″ on the planer. I only need one of the shorter boards so the other one will provide heat to make S’mores.

 photo 20160710_133746.jpg

I attached the boards to the inside of the front door frame. The boards did two things. First, it cleaned up the edges with a full piece of wood, especially on the top. The second is it kept the top trim of the door level with the top trim of the windows because I used 3/8″ wood to make the window frames as well.

 photo 20160710_145408.jpg

The trim has been installed around the door frame with a similar top detail in the middle. Now it’s on to make the two front doors.

 photo 20160710_155633.jpg

Advertisements